Genesis 1:31
"God saw all that he had made, and it was very good." (New International Version-NIV)

Truly Gods vast creation, landscape, wildlife and man is beautiful beyond description.

Friday, December 21, 2012

California Arrival, December 20, 2012

Good morning from California. Got up very early in Tulsa to prepare for my flight to California and Christmas with oldest daughter Janice and her family. Very high winds in Tulsa all night and continuing on in the morning but we made it to the airport without incident and anticipated a bumpy take off and turbulence. At the airport there were a lot of people leaving on the few flights that all depart close to the same time so the lines for check in and security screening were long and slow. I am always amazed at the confusion that airports and the Transportation Security Authority ( TSA ) cause the traveling public. For example. The airport was making the usual announcements about baggage that was acceptable but at the check in counter when bags were checked in small carry on bags that were carried onto the plane would be tagged and placed in the belly of the plane as normal checked bags because there was not room for them in the cabin. This is norm now that the smaller regional jets are being used and they have little overhead storage. So any plans you might have had about keeping the carry on bags with you are now out the window. Signage and repeated announcements were made that travelers over 75 years old could leave their jackets, shoes and belts on. So when I got to the screening point I was told to take off my jacket, shoes and belt. I said OK but what about the announcement just made about people over 75 and I said I just celebrated my 81st birthday yesterday. The security guy said you are the youngest 81 year old person I have ever seen. Take off your shoes, belt and jacket. I guess he tells all the " young looking old people that ". What do you think? So you know the routine after emptying pockets etc I stepped into the screening arch and was asked to step aside for a pat down and scanned with a hand held wand. Specifically he said my right elbow, left knee, my left hip and a few other places showed possible problems. Interesting because I don't have any metal joint, plates etc that might set off an alarm. I will admit that some times the joints feel like they are all rusty but not enough to be detected by the scanner. Now for that carry on bag that was  considered check baggage by the airport and so tagged is not up to snuff. But long story short I finally get on the plane which is 100 % filled and we have an on schedule departure. Had a relatively smooth ride con tray to predictions to Los Angeles. That is where the fun starts. There was just a little over an hour between flights so plenty of time to make connections. Arrived at the new gate and a plane sat there loaded with passengers waiting to push back and go to Chicago. Well came time for my flight to San Francisco to board and the Chicago plane is still sitting there. An announcement is made that the plane has a problem and they are waiting for maintenance to come and tow it to the hanger and as soon as that is done the will bring in another plane for us.After a wait they announced that they wanted us to go to another gate and a another plane would be brought in for us. More wait. Babies crying. Small kids running around out of control and not listening to their parent and more waiting. Now an announcement that the plane they were bringing in for us had a mechanical problem so the flight is cancelled. All hundred or so passengers were directed to go the the United Customer Service counter. Another mad dash to a different terminal. United has three main terminal at LAX so it is a fairly long walk but they do have some moving sidewalks. Then you have the usual  " try to get ahead of the next guy " in the line. They brought in additional employees to handle the mess at the service center. Finally we boarded a Boeing 737/900 and headed for San Francisco. Beautiful big aircraft. Would like to have stayed on that plane because it was going to Hawaii. Very good flight and because of the windy conditions the pilot indicated they would be using a different runway than normal. That was nice because the approach took us by Half Moon Bay where Parisa's wedding was held. On the ground again, frustration behind, daughter Janice met me with her smiling face and baggage all there. All is well with the world. Janice lives roughly 50 miles southeast of the Golden Gate Bridge but this time of day traffic was very heavy. Daylight at the airport and dark when we got to her home. Beautiful home up on a hill with a million dollar view very few people have and only dream of. Got a fast tour of the house and some delicious food then to bed. So I will be telling you more about the house and area another time. It is December 21 when I am doing this posting after getting up at 3 A. M. ( See I am still on East Coast time ). Incidentally, you can't depend on the time of the posting as shown on the blog regardless of where I do the post because it may not be the true time.

As you know the 19th was my birthday and was celebrated with Steve, Jamie, Sara, and Will in Tulsa. They had an excellent dinner for me and we finished the chocolate pie. Why do delicious pies not last? Afterward they gave me my gifts. One in particular I will cherish all my life. It was a published book version  Volume 1, Half Moon Bay Trip of my blog. It contains all the postings, even with misspelled words, photographs, table of contents all in an attractive black cover. The front cover has a photograph of the Half Moon Bay resort where Parisa's wedding was held and the back cover has a picture of me and Lady Blue. I can't believe I actually took that picture of the resort. This is interesting because I have been trying to figure out how I could print the blog and every time I would talk to Jamie about it she would say well we will work on it when you come for your birthday. She was scared to death I would figure out how to do it and ruin her surprise. Thank you. Thank you.

Have to get busy and get ready for another day. I think Janice has some       " Honey do " things she wants me to do so I better get cleaned up, fed and ready to tackle another day. As always remember God loves you and gave His Son for you and I love you.

Grandpa Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment