Genesis 1:31
"God saw all that he had made, and it was very good." (New International Version-NIV)

Truly Gods vast creation, landscape, wildlife and man is beautiful beyond description.

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

East Coast Trip Update, 12/11/2012

In looking over my notes and blog postings covering my  east coast trip I found a few things that needed to be corrected and/or updated. There are some items I completely forgot to cover. These comments may not be exactly in proper chronological order matching the postings. So in the interest of accuracy and my own desire to tell my story as I wanted to tell it.

In the posting for Ellis Island, Oct. 17, 2012 #2 a chronology of Ellis Island was given. It was reported that Fort Gibson was built on Ellis Island for coastal defense.T hat is true but it was in 1809 and not 1909.

Covering Valley Forge it was noted that so many people think that part of the war was fought there but in reality as stated it was a place for General Washington to winter his troops, train his troops and to keep an eye on the activities of the British. A photo was shown of Gen Von Steuben. He is the person Gen Washington put in charge of training the troops. According to information given at Valley Forge his training methods were very successful.

In the posting for Valley Forge comment was made about Washington's Memorial Chapel.  During the tour of Gettysburg comment was made about there being a Lutheran Theological Seminary inside the battlefield park. To tie these comments together I talked to a woman at the Best Western where I stayed in King of Prussia, PA. This lady prepares the breakfast meal for the motel. I mentioned the Washington Memorial Chapel and she said that it started as a mission project ( church ) from her church here in King of Prussia. Now it is a well established church operating on its own.

Oct 13, 2012 found me in Baldwin, New York vising my daughter, Joyce. I mentioned driving around and seeing all the old sight including the church we attended. The church has been enlarged and renamed.  We could not find anyone there who knew what the original name was. After getting back home I found that the name was Central Nassau Baptist. This name was on my deacon ordination certificate dated March 25, 1973. This was an interesting little church. It was  100% supported by the Southern Baptist Home Mission Board when we got there. The church grew and slowly needed less and less support from the Home Mission Board.


A highlight of this trip was being able to celebrate daughter, Joyce birthday. Here she is opening presents.
 
 
What A Beautiful Lady



While at Providence Town, Massachutest, while watching a sunrise I saw sea gulls diving into the water. One of them came up with something in his mouth and flew over to where I was standing
and lit just a few feet from me. Now I could see what he had in his mouth it was a small crab. He laid the crab on the ground.  He proceeded to  peck at the crab. If the crab moved he would peck at it again. Finally when there was no more movement from the little crab the gull proceeded to hold it down with one foot and tear the crab apart and have his breakfast.
 



Gull With Small Crab
 
 
The Providence Town Inn where I was staying I commented on how beautifully it was decorated and of the full size wall mural painting that depicted life in Providence Town a century ago. Very well done. Can't find those photo's.
 
You may recall how disappointed I was that the heavy rain prevented me from making a walking tour of Portland, Maine which has a rich maritime history dating back to 1632 when English settlers established themselves here. This was an important deep water and sheltered harbor where transatlantic steamers used the harbor. It was a major railroad terminus that brought many tourist. Lumber, grain, livestock and other cargoes were shipped from the port. Today Portland remains the most important commercial center in Maine and a major oil port for Canada. Portland sent men and supplies to the civil war effort but was otherwise not impacted by the war. But on July 4,1866 a fire started in the port area and swept through much of the town. Over 10,000 people were left homeless and many businesses lost because of the fire. One of the interesting tourist attractions in Portland is the many different architectural styles. Overlapping generations of building styles can be seen.
 
I briefly commented on the Wadsworth/Longfellow House in an earlier posting. This building is of was a colonial style from 1785-1786 and became a Federal style in 1815 due to reconstruction following a fire. Original construction began in 1785 with bricks shipped from Philadelphia. Construction was not completed until the following year when another shipment of bricks arrived. A fire in 1814 destroyed the original gable roof. Construction after the fire added a third floor with a hip roof. A definite change in the pattern of the bricks is evident where this new addition was constructed.  Henry Wadsworth/Longfellow family home is the oldest remaining residence on the Portland Peninsula. Interesting this residence was when built considered to far out out in the country.
 
During the tour of the house it was often pointed out how dimly lit the rooms were and how there must have been a severe eye strain reading and writing with so little light. Also it was pointed out how dangerous it was for women working in the kitchens. The kitchens were small, crowded and open flames or hot stoves were a constant hazard for the women with their big hoop skirts.
 

" The Carnival Glory" Purported To Be 8th Largest
Cruise Ship In The World Testifies To The Depth
Of The Portland Harbor.

 
 
In an earlier posting I was unable to show Plymouth Rock. So here it is.
 

The Sign Tells The Story
 
 



Impressive Structure Covers Plymouth Rock
 
Plymouth Rock
 
 
 
I guess this just about updates my postings for the East Coast trip except for a few photos I wanted to share with you and I can't find them. I don't know if I accidentally erased them or what. I just suspect I will run across them sometime and if I do you will get to see them. I guess it is time for me to finish this trip because the day after tomorrow I start my Christmas 2012 trip and there will be postings to be done to cover those happenings. In the meantime let me leave you with some Christmas lights around my house.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Bright Light At Top Middle Is The Moon
 
 
Tomorrow is a busy day doing final things before leaving for Christmas trip Dec 13, 1012 to about Jan. 10 or so, 2013. Until we gather again at this blog I pray God's blessings and protection over you all. Good night. Grandpa Bill with Lady Blue in the garage.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment