Genesis 1:31
"God saw all that he had made, and it was very good." (New International Version-NIV)

Truly Gods vast creation, landscape, wildlife and man is beautiful beyond description.

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Day 1, Sunday, May 13, 2012

Hello Everyone. I have so many things to say that I don't know where to start. This past week has been so busy I met myself coming and going. First I need to put in a little disclaimer and that being it has been just a little over a year since I lost the love of my life. I know she is in heaven with our Lord and Savior and I would not want her back for anything because she is now in total bliss and happiness and without pain. That said that does not ease my pain and loneliness. So a lot of things I write will bear on memories we created as we traveled these glorious United States. As I drove from West Chester, Ohio to Springfield, Mo where I am spending the night I must have passed a dozen or more gas station, burger joints,eating establishments, motels or rest areas that I did not say to my self and in fact I often say " honey "we stopped there.  Yes I talk to her all the time. A life time of memories that I will be expressing so I hope you don't get turned off by them. I am relying on this discussion to help me as much as to let you explore the wonders of God's creation ( our earth ).

One of my biggest hangup is to procrastinate. Then I realize I am running out of time so I have to work like mad to get it done or only half finished. That happened as I was preparing to turn on the sprinkler system for the yard and especially for the flower beds and potted plants. I put out about 25 or so pots of flowers and Boston ferns and many flats of impatience ( violet colored Jan's favorite ). Flowers planted without a hitch. But oh my when I started on the sprinklers I found that I needed to replace 4 heads that the mowers had demolished. OK that is not so difficult but the drip system for the potted plants. It seemed to be watering the pots reasonably well but I soon noticed pools of water showing up where there should not be any water. So I get out my trusty shovel and start digging. I would find the leak and as I was admiring my work I would notice another leak and another and another. You get the idea. To make matters worse you have to realize I put this system in back in the mid 1980s when there were not any trees in our yard. Yep, that's right Jan and I planted many trees and they have grown to be very large both above grown and below ground where their roots have now totally entwined themselves around the water supply lines that I am trying to did up and fit. Well, long story short I left home with one big leak. It does not hinder the watering but what a mess. My good neighbor Mike is mowing my grass and checking on the plants once in a while. I did tell him about this leak so I hope I am safe when I return June 13. I really have to come up with a good thank you gift for him.

I woke up at about my usual time 4 AM got up did all the normal things and hit the road at 6 AM. It was raining in the mid 60s  and finally stopped
just past Indianapolis Indiana. A couple of highway items that made this leg of the trip more enjoyable was the condition of I-465 around Indy. It is finally finished. They have worked on it for year. Nice and smooth with new interchanges. As I came west the gas prices came down. Through Indiana and Illinois at the major truck stops they were $ 3.63 to $3.69 per gallon. I filled up the first time in Rolla, Mo.  13.6 gallons  506 miles from West Chester for 37.2 miles per gallon. Very happy with the mileage Lady Blue is getting. She gats an A+.

While I was stopped at a rest stop just past Effingham, IL. a car pulled in and parked by me and I noticed it had New York plates. I said hello and asked him where in NY he lived. It was Schenetady. He looked at my plates and notice they are from Ohio. He asked if it is really true that the Cincinnati airport is in Kentucky. I assured him it was and that in 1982 that fact caused me a whole lot of concern. When I flew from Kansas City. Mo to Cincinnati, Ohio for my job interview at General Electri the pilot came on the intercom as we were taxing out for take off and started giving all the statistics about the flight from KC, Mo. to Covington, KY. Well I was not going to Covington, Ky and I could not get off the plane. After a few moments he came back on the intercom and said " folks that was just a little pilot humor. Covington is the airport for Cincinnati so if Cincinnati is your destination you are on the correct flight". Anyway this gentleman at the rest stop was headed to some place in central Kansas to participate in a week long model airplane competition. As he opened the tailgate of his SUV I saw many model airplanes. His specific type of models was gliders. I said I was once really into model planes but not anymore. He said Why? I said I had to stop when the children started coming along. His comment was, " well it is never to late ". I wonder. Nah way to expensive now days.

As you travel across Indiana and Illinois you see miles and miles of flat farm land. Many of the farmers had already plowed and planted corn. I did not see any soy beans. Other farmers were just now turning their field. hrough one small section some of the farmers have been able to supplement they income with oil/gass wells. Of course alone the interstate there are hundreds of beautiful red winged black birds. They nest about 50 yards apart in the brush that typically grows in the fence line. Tried to get some pictures as I drove along but don't think I got any good enough to share. Well it is about 5 PM I have to eat and try to stay awake to see the final episode of Survivor. Some of you might care less but for Grandpa Bill it is a must. Thats all folks.


5 comments:

  1. Great first day! I recorded survivor in case you didn't
    get all the way through it! Can't wait to see you
    Wednesday! Enjoy uncle Jamie's! I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Lady Blue needs to give my Big White some tips on fuel economy! Safe travels and I cant wait to read more, thanks for setting this blog up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted the first day you blogged, but it did not appear. Don't know what I did wrong. I must say Dad I enjoyed the first post and then you left me wishing for more. I guess you know how to keep us in suspense. Sounds like your trip is off to a great start. Glad you are having a good trip. Keep up the great job with your blog. I want to hear more about your discussion with Dorcas when we get to Calif. love u Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog, grandpa! Lady Blue is a beauty and I'm happy you're putting her to good use on this journey! Stop in Columbia on your way home; I'd love to show you around MU.
    I can't wait to read about the rest of your travels in the coming weeks.
    Love you,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandpa, I just started reading this morning and I am hooked. I find it very interesting to hear about all your past experiences throug the states, and you are a great writer. Looking forward to following
    Charles

    ReplyDelete