Genesis 1:31
"God saw all that he had made, and it was very good." (New International Version-NIV)

Truly Gods vast creation, landscape, wildlife and man is beautiful beyond description.

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Travel Status, Durango, Colorado, Aug. 15, 2013

Good Evening Everyone from beautiful Durango, Colorado. I had my usual motel breakfast cereal, juice and banana and a apple to go. Got the car packed and hit the road at about 6:30 A. M.  As I drove through western Kansas I continued to be amazed at how beautiful and green every thing was. The stock ponds were full and overflowing. There was water standing in the low spots in the corner of fields. The fields that did not have Milo, millet and soy beans in them were in pasture land and each farm/ranch had a large number of cattle grazing. They looked plump and well fed. In the area around Elsworth I started seeing the large wind mill farms for generating electricity. This area is very hilly and beautiful. Around Hays, Kansas I started seeing numerous oil well pumps  and even a few derricks indicating they are still drilling for oil or it might be natural gas. I saw one large field planted in sunflowers and they were all in bloom. When I say a large field I mean one that goes on as far as the eye can see. As the day progressed the temperature continued to climb. The highest I experienced was 92 south of Colorado Springs. The drive  from Walsenburg, Colorado to Durango is spectacular. The mountain are beautiful and high. Walsenburg itself is 6,182 Ft. I went through North LaVeta Pass which is 9,413 ft, Alamosa which is 7,540 ft., Monte Vista which is 7,683 ft., and then Wolf Creek Pass which is the big one at 10,850 ft. Then it is basically downhill to Durango which is several miles away.

I had a few picture I wanted to show you about Pueblo, Colorado and some mountains but the Internet connection is so slow it is going to take all night to up load the photographs. I will catch up on them sometime later.

As you may recall on this trip I am delivering some dishes and cook ware to Stacey Mock who has taken a teaching position here in Durango. She is the daughter of Bill and Kay Mock who are members of my church and are in my Bible Study Class. When I got here  I called Kay to let her know I had arrived. She had flown out here to help Stacey get her class room set up. Kay is a teacher of many many years. They drove to my motel and picked up the item I brought. We chatted a few minutes and they left to go to dinner. They wanted me to go but I begged off because I wanted to get this blog posted and get some rest. Mission accomplished.

I plan to drive the short distance to Cortez  in the morning and find me a room and then go to Mesa Verdes and spend the day there. If I have not seen it all I will go back the next morning.

OK folks the old body is getting weary so I am going to put it to bed. As always remember that God loves you and so do I.

Grandpa Bill



1 comment:

  1. Hi Dad
    I looked until 10 pm Thursday night my time to see your post, but I guess between the time change and slow internet speed I missed it.
    Sounds like Thursday was a busy driving day with lots to see.I sure would have loved to see that field of Sunflowers, that is my favorite flower. That was so nice of you to deliver those dishes. I am sure they really appreciated it.
    Can't wait to read about Mesa Verdes.
    Love you
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete